Friday, May 25, 2007

Nouvelle VagueDancing With Myself

So McCann sent their welcome package for the internship program today. And my barefooted bedheaded self was simply not prepared for all of this paperwork. Taxes, schmaxes. I'm SO over being a grown-up.

I've been researching their (vast) campaigns for the upcoming job, which starts on June 5th. Did you guys know that Billy Crudup (of "Big Fish" and "Jesus' Son" fame) does the voice overs for the MasterCard campaign? Because I didn't. It seems a bit strange, because he is just famous enough so that most movie-going people know who he is, but not nearly distinctive enough for people to recognize him by his voice alone. Why wouldn't they just get a random voice guy? Why the art film prince? Better question --- why did he accept? Passion for charge cards? Wanted to nix an old line of bad credit?

Anyway, I'm home in Georgia for the next few days, and then back to my beautiful leaky Brooklyn apartment and the start of this next endeavor in advertising. It's lame how psyched I am, considering I'll probably just be writing product copy for mailers for the next ten weeks.


EDIT - I guess this whole process would have been a bit easier if I had just won my internship on Ebay.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

McCann's a cool company. Several of my friends have worked there and one of them still does -- Eric Schulte (creative at MRM).

Not that you're seeking advice, but I thought I'd share this tid-bit with you anyways as I've found it useful:

Explore every assignment with vigor and enthusiasm. Ensure that every project (even the most mundane) is a valuable learning experience.

I've often found the best way to do this is by fashioning a project/assignment to fulfill a personal desire. For a creative that may mean creating 20 comps instead of five. For a copywriter, write 140 tags instead of 20.

One last thing: find a mentor within your first couple weeks at McCann. That's been the most useful component of any internship I've had.

anna kate said...

hey ben --- thanks for the advice. I am always due for good advice, actually, so even when my entries don't "seek" it, feel free to share.

hope you're well.

Oakie Chiraskamin said...

Thanks for passing by my blog and nice comment.

I am going to Richmond in a couple of months. Good luck at McCann.

ps. feel free to ask me anything about Adcenter.

anna kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna kate said...

hey oakie --- no problem, and thanks for responding here. Congratulations on your acceptance to VCU!! I believe they only accept one in three applicants these days, maybe less now. Did you happen to also apply to Miami Ad School or The Creative Circus? I'm not even sure yet if I'll go to graduate school, but I'm applying everywhere just in case.

Anyway, I'll keep up with your blog, and I'm sure I'll have many questions as the semester progresses. Good luck!

Oakie Chiraskamin said...

Hello Anna, i did check and consider the AP bootcamp at Miami ad school as a second option. Luckily, Adcenter accepted me first.

Have a nice day :)